The Department of Orthopaedics was established in 1963 with the inception of the Pt JNM Medical College in Raipur. At that time the then district hospital of Raipur was attached to the college and the college was run from a building in the Ayurvedic college campus. The Orthopaedics department then had a total of 40 beds and the teaching staff consisted of one Reader and one Lecturer, with no postgraduate students. In 1976, the construction of the new college building in its present location was completed and the college was shifted into the new premises. Postgraduate students were first admitted in 1981 with two students for three year degree course and six students for the two year diploma in orthopaedics course. These courses were granted recognition by the Medical Council of India after a due inspection of the facilities in 1992. In 1995, the construction of the 700 bed Dr B R Ambedkar Memorial Hospital in the college campus was completed and it was officially affiliated to the Pt JNM Medical College.
Today the Department has two general wards, one trauma ward and one postoperative ward with total capacity of 76 beds (30 beds for adult male, 30 beds for female and children, 10 beds in trauma unit and 6 beds in post-operative ward). Each ward is equipped with special bed and splints, emergency resuscitation equipments, dressing rooms, plaster application room, nursing area and duty rooms for resident doctors and nurses.
The Deptt has two units; each headed by a Professor and has one Associate Professor, Two Assistant Professor and one Senior Registrar in each unit. Total 8 post graduate students, two MS and six D Orth, are admitted each year. The Bachelor of Physiotherapy course of the Pt Ravishankar Shukla University with an annual intake of 50 students, is also affiliated to the department. The BPT Course has its own teaching and non teaching staff comprising of 4 Assistant Professors, 4 Demonstrators, one orthotist and other supporting and clerical staff. The department also conducts the orthopaedic technician course with an annual intake of 20 students.
Department is running daily O.P.D. and emergency services. O.P.D. has daily registration of approximately 125 patients (New & Old). O.P.D. is equipped with physiotherapy & occupational therapy unit with all modern electrotherapy and exercise equipment, minor operation theater, and plaster room with facility of close fracture reduction under anesthesia.
Department has Inpatient registration of approximately 1000-1200 patient/year with approximately 1500 major & minor operative procedure carried out annually. All facilities and procedures are made available free of charge to below poverty line (BPL) patients including total joint arthroplasties via funding from the state government.
Fully equipped physiotherapy and occupational therapy labs offering the full range of rehabilitative facilities.
Orthotic lab for providing custom made orthoses for the indoor and outdoor patients.
Fully equipped Major OT and Trauma OT with modern OT tables, Laminar airflow and three image intensifiers. All major & minor operative procedure are being performed in the department.
- Trauma Surgery
- Spinal Surgery
- Joint replacement
- Musculoskeletal infection & tumor surgery
- Deformity correction surgery
- Arthroscopic surgery
ACHIEVEMENTS, PUBLICATION & RESEARCH
The Deptt has various ongoing research projects most notably in Sickle cell osteoarthropathy, fracture neck femur, proximal tibial fractures, total hip replacement and arthroscopy.
The PG students of the department have been regularly presenting their papers in the PG paper competition of State, Regional and National Conferences and have won 1st prize in MPIOACON97 & CGIOACON08, 2nd prize in CZIOACON07 & in CGIOACON09
- Post Graduate degree Course (M.S.) 2 student/yr
- Post Graduate Diploma Course ( D. ortho.) 6 student/yr
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (B.P.T.) 50 student/yr
- Orthopaedic Technician (paramedical) 20 student/yr
CONFERENCES, SYMPOSIUM & SEMINAR
- OSSAC Mid Term Symposium on “Road Traffic Accident” on 27th October 2013 at Raipur.
- Organising Chairman – Dr. A.S. Dau (Prof.& HOD)
- Organising Secretary – Dr. Atin Kundu (Astt. Professor)
- Hosted the state conference of MP chapter of IOA in 1985 & 1999 and CG chapter of IOA in 2003.
- Hosted a Workshop on Knee Arthroscopy in 1992.
- Hosted a workshop on Total Hip Replacement in 1993.
- Hosted a workshop on spinal instrumentation with cadaveric dissection in 1999.
- Hosted a workshop on total knee replacement in 2000.
- Hosted a workshop on Knee Arthroscopy with live surgeries in 2004.
- Hosted the 7th annual conference of Central Zone of Indian Orthopaedic Association in Oct’07.
- Hosted a workshop on Pelvic and Ace tabular fractures with cadaveric dissection in Oct’07.
- Will host the Mid Term Symposium of Central Zone of Indian Orthopaedic Association on Spinal problems in March, 09
Head of Department
|Name||Dr. S . Phuljhele|
|Designation||Professor & Head of Department|